This process is a lot simpler compared to you may believe. Have you ever before expanded new houseplants from clippings? That is specifically just what you’re doing below, except with a pleasant potato. Yep, pleasant potato slides is all you require for an entire harvest of wonderful potatoes.
Simply six simple actions from beginning to harvest …
1. Take a wonderful potato as well as drop it in a glass of water around mid-March. Soon it will begin to expand slides.
2. Expect slides to begin to expand as well as origins. Each of the potatoes ought to produce regarding 20 slips. When the slides are approximately 3-4 inches long, turn them from the potato as well as drop them in water. Baby food containers function flawlessly, or something similar would certainly be adequate.
3. Await those slips to expand origins as well as soon asthoseorigins are established (as in image) they are ready to plant. In Kansas we commonly wait till around June 1st (or whenever the weather is continually cozy) to plant them outside.
4. When growing, space them concerning 3 feet from each other as they are a creeping plant that spreads. Treat them like any type of various other plant in your yard as well as water as needed.
5. The vines will generate flowers in September soon before harvest. When the leaves begin to turn yellow (generally September to October) they are ready to harvest. Note that it is best to dig them up if there is a possibility of frost in the forecast.
6. When gathered, allow them heal for 10 days outside in a shady area. I placed mine in an open air garage. Yes, 1 potato has generated every one of these!!
More Gardening Ideas & Resources